Welcome

The Hungerford's Tavern Chapter, NSDAR was organized May 20, 1974 and confirmed June 7, 1974. The Chapter is chartered in Potomac, Maryland.

The name was chosen because if any one site can be said to be the birthplace of Montgomery County it is Hungerford's Tavern, which probably stood at the corner of South Washington and Jefferson Streets in Rockville.

On Saturday, June 11, 1774, at Hungerford's Tavern, the leading men of lower Frederick County met with Henry Griffith as moderator and Archibald Orme as clerk and resolved unanimously:

HungerfordTavern


"That it is the opinion of this meeting that the most effectual means for the securing of American freedom will be to break off all commerce with Great Britain and the West Indies."

Dr. Thomas Sprigg Wootton, Nathan and Zadek Magruder, Richard Brooke, Henry Griffith, Evan and Richard Thomas, Dr. William Baker, Thomas Cramphin, Jr. and Allen Bowie were appointed to carry the resolution to Annapolis.

Two years later, on September 6, 1776, a resolution introduced by Dr. Thomas Sprigg Wootton was passed by the Maryland Assembly dividing the western and south sections of Frederick County into Washington and Montgomery, the first counties in the state named for citizens of the colonies. At this time it was directed that elections be held and Charles Hungerford's tavern was the place chosen for these first Montgomery County elections.

On May 20, 1777, the first court was held in Hungerford's Tavern, which continued to serve as the seat of government for Montgomery County until the first court house was erected in 1779.